Our Charities Group delivers accountancy support for third-sector organisations across the country. The Group consists of members of our Audit, Tax, VAT and Business Support teams, meaning that we offer flexibility in service delivery for our charity clients, keeping them informed of developments relevant to them whether they use one or all of our services.
How we can help charities
- Preparation of year-end statutory accounts
- Audit and independent examination
- Internal Management Reporting
- Back-office support and financial administration
- VAT consultancy
- Pension and payroll functions
- Creative industry tax reliefs
- Gift Aid advice and support
- Commercialisation (including trading subsidiaries)
- Risk management
Trustee and governance support
We provide services to trustees, helping them to meet their legal duties in administering assets and finances with ease, and reporting in the correct manner. We also support clients on governance, and strategic issues including business planning, risk management and future needs.
The Charity SORP
Looking for information about the Charity SORP? Head to our dedicated page, where you’ll find guidance, downloads and webinar instructional videos to help.
Check out our dedicated page showing useful guidance on charities matters.
The Chiene + Tait Charity Team recently held a number of seminars on the topic of Trustee and Governance. To view the videos of speakers taken at the events visit this page.
Our experience and knowledge gives us critical insight into the issues that different charities have. Recently we have helped clients in the cultural sector apply for creative tax reliefs, advised local charities on the VAT position of their new buildings, provided bookkeeping cover, and plenty more – this is in addition to our audit and accounting services. We also advise on governance and regulatory requirements, particularly in relation to compliance with Financial Reporting Standards.
Our focus is to be a helpful, trusted advisor: giving you the best advice now, while keeping one eye on your future challenges.
Our charities experience
We work with arts organisations, theatre trusts, museums and galleries, sector bodies, small trusts, grant-giving organisations, local clubs and community groups, independent schools, national-scale service deliverers, membership organisations, and educational, social and medical care charities.
We hold regular events for our clients and issue regular communications to highlight important developments and new legislation for charities and their governance.
In 2017, we held a range of breakfast seminars covering:
- Ethical investment, presented by Julie Hutchison and Gair Brisbane of Standard Life Wealth
- The GDPR, presented by Peter Sheppard of assurance specialists TIAA
- Fundraising regulations, presented by Val Surgenor of MacRoberts Solicitors and the Independent Fundraising Standards & Adjudication Panel for Scotland
- Cybercrime, presented by Peter Sheppard of TIAA
In 2016, our seminars covered:
- OSCR’s new reporting requirements
- Fraud risk
- Social investment
We also liaise with regulators including OSCR to clarify issues, and contribute to HMRC consultations.