HMRC has announced that it has set up an SME Brexit Support Fund which can fund up to £2,000 to help with training or professional advice, if your business has up to 500 employees and no more than £100 million annual turnover.
The grant can be used for training on:
- How to complete customs declarations
- how to manage customs processes and use customs software and systems
- specific import and export related aspects including VAT, excise and rules of origin
It can be used to help you get professional advice so businesses can meet customs, excise, import VAT or safety and security declaration requirements.
In order to qualify the business must:
- be established in the UK
- have been established in the UK for at least 12 months before submitting the application, or currently hold Authorised Economic Operator status
- not have previously failed to meet its tax or customs obligations
- have no more than 500 employees
- have no more than £100 million turnover
- import or export goods between Great Britain and the EU, or move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland
The business must also either:
- complete (or intend to complete) import or export declarations internally for its own goods
- use someone else to complete import or export declarations but requires additional capability internally to effectively import or export (such as advice on rules of origin or advice on dealing with a supply chain)
If you are interested in obtaining VAT and Customs advice in relation to Brexit and qualify based on the above conditions, please contact VAT Director Iain Masterton via email or 0131 558 5800.