Our clients are at the heart of our business and for that reason we make it our business to understand their needs. We are passionate about what we do and how we can share our knowledge and experience to ensure that our clients’ financial affairs are cared for. This stance is reflected in our mission statement:
Understanding your Needs – Delivering with Integrity
With a heritage of over 130 years working with clients, we consider our firm to be innovative and adaptable to client needs. Our independence has helped us to make sure we deliver a quality driven, cost effective service.
In an increasingly regulated and legislated environment, Chiene + Tait offer a resourceful and flexible service due to the depth and breadth of knowledge within the firm. The partnership consists of over 120 staff and ten partners, who not only give the technical advice expected of any high quality accountancy firm, but also provide niche services such as addressing specialised VAT queries, offering an outsourced payroll function and giving independent examination help to small charities.
Contact us today to try our no obligation advisory service.
In 2010 we celebrated the 125th anniversary of the creation of Chiene + Tait. As part of our celebration, we delved into the archives of the firm to research our history and found various bits of information about John Scott Tait and George Chiene Jnr – read about it here.
We understand that telling you about our range of services and how we can help you achieve your ambitions is one thing, but there’s nothing like someone independently saying how much they enjoy working with our team. The Chiene + Tait team has gathered some case studies to provide examples of how we work with clients to achieve their preferred aims.
“I am very happy to endorse Chiene + Tait. We have received invaluable advice from them regarding VAT issues. They have been very thorough and efficient throughout and have acted on our behalf in dealing with HMRC. They identified major savings on the VAT on the capital cost which has enabled our project to move forward.” Llanelli Railway Goods Shed Trust
“Iain Masterton at Chiene + Tait has given us the most helpful VAT advice and information that we have had since starting up as a CLT. He has given advice regarding our Winter Garden project and we will definitely contact him again in the future.” Granby 4 Streets CLT
“As a consultant undertaking feasibility studies for the reuse of historic buildings at risk, we have found Chiene + Tait’s advice invaluable. They have put us ‘on the straight and narrow’ at the start of the project, explaining the potential VAT risks of different possible end uses and offering ways of structuring the project to limit our VAT liability and maximise recovery. They have always explained the VAT issues in simple, understandable language, and have checked our written drafts to make sure we have reported the facts correctly in our reports. We wholeheartedly recommend them to any voluntary sector group tackling heritage projects.” Creative Heritage
“Castles of Scotland Preservation Trust have for many years turned periodically to Helen Mackenzie, the Partner in Chiene + Tait responsible for VAT advice, for advice on VAT, either on our own behalf or on behalf of other building preservation trusts, with whom we are working. The advice, which is most usually required at the beginning of a project, is always sound and gives huge comfort to the Trustees and, although there is rightly a limited on the amount of free time available from Margaret, she never rushes her advice and always makes sure that you fully understand what she has said, before she finishes the consultation. The building preservation trust movement owe Chiene + Tait, particularly Helen, a huge debt of gratitude for their support over the years. We have no hesitation in commending Chiene + Tait for the excellent advice, which they have given to us and others, over the years.” Castles of Scotland Preservation Trust
In the downloads section below, we highlight three companies Chiene + Tait has supported to achieve their desired aims:
- CW Properties – Our principal work involves tax compliance and bookkeeping for the holding company and its many subsidiaries; we’ve also worked with Tor on VAT compliance and returns, preparing management accounts, Construction Industry Scheme returns, and year-end accounts.
- Paragon Housing Association – In July 2016 Paragon HA faced a sudden and unexpected skills shortage when a key member of the finance team fell ill. The absent member of staff was responsible for producing Paragon’s management accounts – a key piece of management information. This was during a very busy period for the Finance Team in the run up to the year end audit and implementation of a new IT system, leading to a significant and urgent skills gap.
- Whitespace – The company chose to outsource their financial record-keeping and embrace the possibility of technology in accounting. Our challenge: to digitise the accounting records, by providing a collaborative system that would integrate with other key management systems in the office.
Clients have always been at the heart of what we do. Without clients, or our wonderful staff, we would not be able to deliver the quality service we provide every day. However, every now and again we are lucky enough to be recognised by our industry peers for the quality of our advice. Accolades include:
- Scottish Accountancy and Finance Awards (2016, 2017, 2018)
- British Accountancy Awards – Finalist in the Mid-Tier Firm of the Year Category (2017)
- EISA Highly Commended Best EIS/ SEIS Tax Adviser (2016 and 2017)
- EISA Best result in EIS Diploma (2017)
- PAM Top 25 Private Client Accoutancy Firm
If you have a query about our client service, please feel free to contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.